Traditionally October to March are better months for planting as tree root systems are dormant and less water is required. However, sometimes planting is needed in summer and for these occasions it is important to manage the watering:
- build up watering slowly, be careful of over watering
- do not try to make up for missed watering sessions by increasing watering
- deep watering sessions are generally better every few days – think of a good rainfall!
- avoid the heat of the day to minimise evaporation
- use mulch to further minimise water loss
- avoid fertilizers in summer, these can burn the tree when there is a lack of water