The National Citizen Service (NCS) is a programme engaging 15 – 17 year olds across the country and in 2016 became on ‘permanent statutory footing’ indicating the UK government’s commitment and recognition of the benefits of the NCS. Over 200 000 young people have taken part in it since its inception and it is now recommended by UCAS to bolster personal statements.
One key programme of the NCS is called The Challenge. This is an exciting 3-week programme that involves outdoor adventures, learning new skills, and launcing social action projects. This year, Teratrees is a social action partner and the platform will be used by a group of 12 students from the Borough of Brent to green their community!
This group of young adults have now launced a campaign and will plant silver birches (Betula pendula) in Brent. As part of their skills development it creates a great opportunity for them to run their own campaign to engage the community to support them planting these trees. It also connects these students with nature, which is one of the key objectives of Teratrees.
To support their campaign and help green their London borough, follow these steps:
- Register and login to Teratrees
- Top up with our currency called Tera by clicking the Top up button. Note £1 is equal to 20 Tera.
- Click on the ‘NCS Stems‘ campaign in the Campaign tab. Trees will appear in the lower window.
- In the lower window, click on the green tick to buy a silver birch for 100 Tera
- Once they have planted your tree, it will appear in My Garden under the My Teratrees tab!
Silver birch have been purposefully selected as they are hardy trees when planted together and will have a good chance of surviving the summer. They will also be watered during the summer through watering contracts of Brent Council, via a special favor of Veolia. These trees will be planted in Roundwood Park.